Mayor Fred Minagar
Mayor Fred Minagar and his wife Julie, moved to Orange County from New York City in 1989 and have been residents of Laguna Niguel for over 25 years. They have raised their two children in Laguna Niguel to be very active members of their local community and schools.
Fred is a passionate and dedicated local leader having served the City of Laguna Niguel during the past 22 years. He was elected to the Laguna Niguel City Council on November 4, 2014 and re-elected on November 6, 2018. In December, 2016 and November, 2019 he was selected to serve as Mayor Pro Tem. Fred served as Mayor in 2017. Then in December 2020, Fred was selected by the City Council to serve as Mayor for a one-year term.
Prior to his election, Mayor Minagar served the Laguna Niguel community in different commissions and boards for over 18 years. He served 5 terms on the City of Laguna Niguel’s Traffic and Transportation Commission as Chairman and Commissioner and also served 4 terms on the Laguna Niguel Planning Commission as Chairman and Commissioner. He participated and completed the Laguna Niguel Citizen Academy twice in 2008 and 2013. Because of Fred’s excellence in volunteering, he was the City of Laguna Niguel’s 2012 Citizen of the Year nominee.
He supported the decade-long (1996-2006) struggle to defeat El Toro Airport and protecting Orange County residents’ quality of life in 2006.
Mayor Minagar has also been elected and/or appointed to the following county and regional leadership roles:
- TCA (Transportation Corridor Agencies), "The Toll Roads" Chairman of SJHTCA
- Orange County Council of Governments, Board Director (representing 6 South Orange County Coastal Cities)
- SCAG Regional Council - District 12 Regional Member (representing 6 South Orange County Coastal Cities)
- SCAG Transportation Committee Member (representing City of Laguna Niguel)
- ACC-OC Water Committee, Alternate Member
- World Affairs Council of Orange County, Board of Trustees Member
- San Joaquin Hills Transportation Corridor Agency (representing City of Laguna Niguel)
Mayor Minagar currently serves in the following City Committees & Commissions:
- Traffic and Transportation Commission
- Bus Shelter Design, Roadway Monument Signage Committee
- Sister City Ad-Hoc Committee
- City/CDBG Grant Sub Committee
- Crown Valley Park Master Plan Committee
- Economic Recovery/COVID-19 Committee
He is a recognized national authority in the areas of ITS, traffic/civil/electrical engineering & transportation planning and toll finance.
Fred has over 35 years of professional public and private consulting engineering and planning experience. He is the founder, President, and CEO of his private engineering & planning consulting firm, Minagar and Associates, Inc., which was established in 1993. Fred is a registered Civil Engineer in California, New Jersey and a number of other states. He has planned, engineered, managed, administered and evaluated over 750 transportation planning, traffic/civil/electrical engineering/ITS projects in over 17 states.
He has multiple degrees including a Masters of Science in Transportation Engineering from the University of Cincinnati, a Management Diploma from St. John’s University, Management Practice Diploma form New York University, Negotiation Skills and Advocacy Certificate from Pepperdine University School of Law, ITS Program Diploma from The George Washington University, and a degree from the Executive Leadership Program, Leadership Decision Making at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
He has taught transportation engineering & planning at The George Washington University, UC-Davis, UC-Irvine and CSU-Los Angeles. He is also an Expert Witness having served on over two dozen cases in California, Massachusetts & New Mexico.
Fred Minagar who was selected as An Outstanding Young Man of America in 1982 is also the recipient of over a dozen local, regional, state and national awards in the areas of public service leadership and transportation engineering most notably:
- Winner of the American Society of Civil Engineer’s (ASCE) 2016 Outstanding Civil Engineer in the Private Sector Award in the State of California
- Winner of the ASCE Los Angeles Section’s 2016 Outstanding Civil Engineer in the Private Sector Award
- Winner of the ASCE Orange County Chapter’s 2016 Outstanding Civil Engineer in the Private Sector Award
- Winner of the Orange County Engineering Council’s Outstanding Engineering Service Award in 2016
- Winner of ASCE’s 2007 & 2009 Outstanding Public/Private Sector Civil Engineering Projects in the Metropolitan Los Angeles County
- Award of Excellence in Service by Los Angeles County MTA in 2000, 2010, 2011 & 2016
- Winner of Caltrans’ 2009 Excellence in Transportation Award in California
- Winner of the PTI’s 2003 Best Transportation Technology Solutions Award in the United States