The Zoning Code (view Zoning District Map) objectives are:
- To implement the City's General Plan.
- To provide regulations not covered by the Local Coastal Program (LCP) for portions of the City subject to the LCP.
- To classify different land uses and structures in appropriate places as designated in the General Plan, and to regulate such land uses and structures in order to serve the needs of residential neighborhoods, commerce, industry, recreation, open space and other purposes.
- To ensure that adequate off street parking and loading facilities are provided and maintained for all land uses.
- To provide land zoned for schools, parks and other public facilities.
- To protect and enhance real property values.
- To provide a guide for the development and use of land in the City as required by the state Government Code.
- To secure for the residents of the City the social and economic advantages resulting from the planned and orderly use of its land resources.
- To establish conditions which allow the various types of land uses to exist in harmony and to promote the stability of existing land uses by protecting them from harmful intrusion.
- To prevent undue intensity of land use or development, to avoid population overcrowding, and to maintain a suitable balance between developed land and open space