Trash Collection and Recycling Services
In Laguna Niguel, trash and recycling services are provided by the City’s exclusive franchised hauler, CR&R Environmental Services,Inc. The City’s franchise agreement with CR&R for the solid waste collection and recycling services is available here.
- To schedule trash and recycling collection, contact CR&R directly at (877) 728-0446.
- To view the current trash and recycling collection schedule for your street, view map.
For placement of a dumpster, refuse bin, or temporary moving pod on the City's right-of-way, a Public Property Encroachment Permit and an applicable Certificate of Insurance are required. The City of Laguna Niguel has an exclusive Franchise Agreement with CR&R Environmental Services, Inc. and only CR&R may be used for dumpster placement on public right-of-way and private property throughout the City.
If a resident wishes to utilize their private driveway to place a dumpster, refuse bin, or a temporary moving pod, an Encroachment Permit will not be required.
View information about Wastes Banned From the Trash.
Rate Adjustment effective July 1, 2021
- Most customers will experience a decrease in the monthly rate (including regularly scheduled residential solid waste collection where a 65-gallon cart will decrease from $21.93 to $21.69 per month).
- CR&R will conduct outreach efforts on behalf of the City to inform them of the rate adjustment effective July 1, 2021.
- Here is a copy of the letter that CR&R will share with customers: CR&R Rate Adjustment Letter (effective July 1, 2021)
Remember on Collection Day
- Carts should be placed at the curbside no later than 6:30 a.m. on collection day and removed from the curbside within 12 hours after service.
- Carts should be placed with the handles and wheels facing towards your home.
- Place carts side-by-side approximately one foot apart and at least three feet from any obstruction (e.g. vehicles, fire hydrants, trees).
- Items placed outside of carts will not be collected. Cart lids should be closed. Please do not overload.
Holiday Collection Schedule
If the holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, trash will be collected on your normal collection day with no delays to your pickup. If the holiday falls during the work week, collection for the remainder of the week will be delayed by one day.
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Residents are encouraged to separate out green waste and place them in the residential green carts. Single-family residential customers who occasionally have excess green waste may schedule a bulky pick-up.
Christmas Tree Recycling
CR&R provides Christmas tree collection services for a two-week period after the holiday season. Palm fronds are not recyclable and must be placed in the trash cart. Follow these guidelines for curbside collection of Christmas trees:
- Remove all ornaments, tinsel, lights, and stands.
- Place tree in the green waste cart or beside your carts for collection. Do not place trees in plastic bags.
- Trees six feet or taller must be cut in half.
Bulky Item Pick Up
Items that cannot fit in your automated carts are considered bulky items. Each residential customer is entitled to two free bulky item pick-ups per calendar year. Additional pick-ups may be arranged at a nominal charge. If you are a new resident, contact CR&R to collect all paper, cardboard, and packing materials free of charge. This will count as both of your free bulky item pickups. To schedule a pick up click here.
Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Wastes are products that are flammable, corrosive, reactive or toxic, and cannot be disposed in your automated carts.
Household Hazardous Waste must be disposed of at a certified collection center. The County of Orange operates year-round drop off centers. The nearest collection centers are located at the Prima Deshecha Landfill. The landfill is located at 32250 Avenida La Pata, San Juan Capistrano and is open Monday through Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you have any questions about Household Hazardous Waste collection, contact (714) 834-4000.
Electronic Waste (e-Waste) is anything with a circuit board or battery. It is also illegal to dispose of e-Waste in any of your automated carts. Universal wastes are hazardous wastes that contain mercury, lead, cadmium, copper, and other substances hazardous to human and environment health. Please call CR&R to arrange a curbside pick up of e-Waste.
Recycling is beneficial to the community and the environment by preventing pollution, saving energy, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and helping sustain the environment for future generations! Let's take care of our beautiful community by recycling, reducing waste, and re-purposing older items. Residents are encouraged to separate their recyclables and place them in your blue or brown containers.
Organic Waste Recycling
Assembly Bill 1826 requires businesses, including multi-family buildings with five (5) or more units that generate a specific amount of organic waste per week (yard trimmings, food scraps, and food-soiled paper) to arrange for organics recycling and diversion services according to a tiered implementation schedule. Read more here.