Word of the Month Art Contest
“Word of the Month” QUARTERLY ART CONTEST
Laguna Niguel artists are invited to participate in a “Word of the Month” Art Contest to showcase their creativity and artistic talents. This free art contest is an initiative introduced by the Mayor that encourages residents to develop a visual piece of art and share it with the community.
How it Works:
Each quarter new monthly words are announced on the City’s website and in the City’s E-Newsletter. Artists create a visual piece of art inspired by one of the Words of the Month. A registration entry form is required for each piece of art submitted. A maximum of two art pieces can be submitted for each quarterly contest. All submitted artwork is displayed at City Hall for two weeks. During the first week the community votes on their favorite piece of artwork for each age-category. Winners are then recognized and presented a certificate from the Mayor and City Council at a City Council meeting. Artist names, along with photos of their winning artwork are also posted on the City’s website.
What are the Words? When are the Submission Dates?
- The Words of the Month for the Summer Quarter (August and September) will be announced on the City’s website August 1, 2018.
- Summer Submission Deadline is 4 pm Friday, September 21, 2018.
- Voting Week 1 September 24 - September 28, 2018.
- Winners recognized by City Council Tuesday, October 2, 2018.
- Artists pick up their artwork from City Hall front desk Monday, October 8, 2018.
- The Words of the Month for Fall Quarter (October, November & December) will be announced on the City’s website September 21, 2018.
- Fall Submission Deadline is 4 pm Friday, November 16, 2018.
- Voting Weeks 1 & 2 November 19 - November 30, 2018.
- Winners recognized by City Council Tuesday, December 4, 2018.
- Artists pick up their artwork from City Hall front desk Monday, December 10, 2018.
Age & Residency Requirements:
- Must be six years of age or older.
- Must be a Laguna Niguel resident, attend a school in Laguna Niguel, or attend a school that serves the residents of Laguna Niguel. Eligible schools outside City borders include: Aliso Niguel High School, Aliso Viejo Middle Schools, and Dana Hills High School.
- Primary: Grades 1-5
- Secondary: Grades 6-12
- Adult: Ages 18-55
- Classic: Age 55+
The general public will judge all artwork submissions through a paper ballot process. All art pieces will be publicly displayed in the City Hall lobby for two weeks. After the first week of voting, winners will be notified to attend the next City Council meeting.
Formats & Sizes:
- Entries are restricted to paintings (oil, acrylic, water, etc.), sketches and drawings (pencil charcoal, mixed media, etc.), photographs, and sculptures.
- Paintings, sketches, and photographs should be at minimum 5”x5” and 20”x20”, maximum. Artwork that is larger than the size permitted will not be accepted. Sculptures should be less than 15” tall and 15” wide. Sculptures that are larger than the size permitted will not be accepted.
Entry Form & Submittal of Artwork:
Bring your artwork (limit 2 per artist, per quarter) and completed entry form to the Laguna Niguel City Hall receptionist by the respective deadline. All artwork will be displayed for two weeks with a one-week judging period. Owners must pick up their artwork on the following Monday.
Winners for July are: